Friday, September 23, 2011

Simplicity

I have spent the last month reading through Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. This book is intense, insightful and rather encouraging. So, after reading each chapter I am recording a brief synopsis of what God is teaching me. The following is my reflection on Simplicity - An outward discipline.

“Simplicity is freedom. Duplicity is bondage” (Foster, p.79) When I read this it immediately brought to mind Jesus’ teaching about serving two masters. A duplicitous life is one that is divided, serving both God and something of the world. This leaves us in bondage to the thing which is not God. That thing, which can be rid through a simplistic lifestyle, is for us a functional god. In addition, we complicate things of life even further when we allow ourselves to be influenced by external sources. “One moment we make decisions on the basis of sound reason and the next moment out of fear of what others will think of us.” (Foster, p.80) If we are not being drawn away from God by things we are being drawn away from God by people. In his letter to the Galatians Paul provides a great picture of how we should behave in respect to both God and people. “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” (Galatians 1:10) The principals presented to help us develop this life of simplicity without becoming legalistic come to an apex with the final notation, “Tenth, shun anything that distracts you from seeking first the kingdom of God” (Foster, p.95) It is clear that God desires for us to be simplistic so that we might focus on Him and not the things of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment