Friday, September 23, 2011

Solitude - Another Outward Discipline

Here is a continuation from "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster.

On Solitude:

I struggled through this chapter knowing conviction was coming. I was not surprised to see the correlation between solitude and silence, however I anticipated it to be more about silence when seeking solitude alone, instead, Foster discusses the additional option of practicing the discipline of silence while in a group. This comes from an inner solitude. “Under the discipline of silence and solitude we learn when to speak and when to refrain from speaking” (Foster, p.98-99) Foster also addresses how an inner solitude allows us the freedom to let “God be our justifier” (p.101) which removes from us the need to correct individuals of their wrong behaviors. Most interestingly Foster spends time discussing St. John of the cross and his writing about the Dark Night of the Soul. I am familiar with the writing, and the experience. I have recently come out of such a period. I struggled to see the benefit from this until I read this: “Be grateful that God is lovingly drawing you away from every distraction so that you can see Him clearly. Rather than chafing and fighting, become still and wait” (Foster, p.103)

Over the last few months God has reminded me of what Moses said to the people of Israel, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again” (Exodus 14:13) The Egyptians never to be seen again referred to a version of myself God was trying to purify and redeem – he needed to rid me of part of myself. There is a time for reflection, and a time to evaluate the plans God has for our lives. This must be done in solitude apart from the distractions of the world. It is only fair that as we spend time seeking to be alone with God he will remove a sense of selfishness and replace it with something greater. Because, “The fruit of solitude is increased sensitivity and compassion for others.” (Foster, p.108) When things are calm inside, it becomes much easier to focus outward.

No comments:

Post a Comment